Saturday, July 14, 2012

They have known for years

There is nothing I love better than a good, lively discussion about scripture. There is always something new to discover. Much of my interest in the Old Testament is because it's foundational to the New Testament. You have to have a good solid foundation first, before you start to build.

In order to better understand the New Testament, we have to understand and respect that Jesus was a Jew. He was born a Jew. He was raised a Jew. He worshipped God as a Jew. All of his apostles and disciples were Jews. All of the writers of the bible were Jews. They were taught as Jews. They thought as Jews.

The books in my library about the Talmud are valuable resources. When I began to collect volumes of the English translation of The Talmud The Steinsaltz Edition (published by Random House), I did not know anything about Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz. In the process of writing my book, I found out that Time magazine, in 1988, hailed him as a "once-in-a-millennium scholar."

Because intelligence is the attribute that is most attractive to me, I just knew that I could learn something from Rabbi Adin Steinseltz who, born in 1937, is currently living in Jerusalem. His website is http://www.steinsaltz.org.

I ordered his book, The Thirteen Petalled Rose. I was just astonished that some of the information I labored to present in Your Little Light Shines just rolled off of his tongue in a manner like, doesn't everyone know this? He begins his book with "The physical world in which we live, the objectively observed universe around us, is only a part of an inconceivably vast systems of worlds. Most of these worlds are spiritual in their essence; they are of a different order from our known world. Which does not necessarily mean that they exist somewhere else, but means rather that they exist in different dimensions of being." Fasten you seat belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment