Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What I discovered, "they" already knew

I can't believe it's been over a month since my last blog. I've reached the age where I attend more funerals than weddings and this month I had some involvement with two homegoing services. My good friend lost her ex-husband. They had been married for forty-nine years and five years ago they divorced. Even though they had done pre-need planning for their funeral services years ago and made arrangements to be buried together in the same crypt, it was difficult to see how her opinions and wishes were relegated to the "legal" next of kin. It was also difficult to watch the current girlfriend on the scene. We live, we die, we leave stuff behind.

It reminds me of a quote from Dr. Maya Angelou, "I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

When Dr. Angelou called me, she suggested that I read The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav. I ordered several of his books. In the introduction of The Dancing Wu Li Masters, I found another source of inspiration. Zukav said, "When I wrote The Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics, I had never written a book and I had never studied physics." Me either, me either. His comments encouraged me over and over and over again. He said that he just knew this book would sell and all he needed to do was his part—to continue writing. That's got to be a source of inspiration for all new authors.

Many of the things I discovered in my journey, Gary Zukav knew over thirty years ago when he wrote his book in 1979. And so I pass along Dr. Angelou's recommendation. You can learn more from Gary Zukav  at www.seatofthesoul.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment